Thursday, March 08, 2007

Concert Review #1: John Mayer

Now, I love John Mayer. He is one of my favorite musicians. Continuum helped me through my breakup. I swear his songs are timed perfectly to my life. There's always a song on one of his albums that correlates to my life. Every time I see him on TV, I'm really excited.

So, when February 26th, 2007 rolled around and I watched John Mayer from my fairly decent seat at the Mullins Center, I was actually disappointed. The best part of the concert was the light show.

I don't know why I didn't like it. I mean, I didn't NOT like it. It wasn't terrible. But something was missing. And that pun was not intentional. Again, one of his songs went along with the experience:

" Something's missing
And I don't know how to fix it
Something's missing
And I don't know what it is
No I don't know what it is

Something's different
And I don't know what it is
No I don't know what it is

Friends - check
Money - check
Well-slept - check
Opposite sex - check
Guitar - check
Microphone - check"

I really wish I knew what I didn't like about the concert. I think I would rank him as only my fourth favorite person in concert--and considering most of my concert experiences are from the same bands and musicians, that's saying a lot.

He had, though, wicked awesome merchandise. I loved the zipper hoodie and the old-school style concert shirt that reminds me of one my mom got at a Bruce Springsteen concert in the 80s. He had a lot of great stuff. Too bad his stuff was better than his concert.

I still love him, though. I still listen to him all the time. I just wish I didn't think to myself at the end of the concert: "I paid $45 for this?"

No comments: